Sunday, August 09, 2009

Rethinking the limits we set for our children and ourselves.

by Rabbi Yonason Goldson

On a summer afternoon many years ago, I stood in my front yard and watched my neighbor teaching his four-year-old son how to pedal a new bicycle. The father hovered nervously as the boy tried to balance himself between his bike's rear training wheels. Just then a blurred figure whisked by – my own four-year-old son, riding confidently on his own two-wheeler, sans training wheels.

"That's amazing," my neighbor gasped.

Was it? I hadn't thought so, even though I couldn't ride a bike with confidence until I was nearly 12.

My son wanted to learn. Who was I to stand in his way?I'm not one of those parents who push their children to become hyper-achievers. Rather, it was my son's relentless petitions to remove his training wheels that had prompted me to reach into the tool box and retire that extraneous hardware to the back of the garage with so much other junk. I never consulted books or articles or experts about the age at which a boy is developmentally ready to ride a bicycle.

Click here to read this article in its entirety.

No comments: